Friday, August 13, 2010

white earth studio


Vase, Ceramic, Porcelain, Matte Green, Lotus
"I have worked with porcelain ceramics for thirty years and have not come close to exploring all of the organic themes and inspiration I find in the beauty, mystery and wonder of the natural world.As an independent studio potter, I have exhibited my work and received awards internationally.
Artist Statement
White Earth, a series of porcelain vessels, is a homage to my childhood in the Dakotas, its visual images and memories. It is a deep respect, a bowing down to the earth where I have experienced it.Walking the freshly plowed fields as a child, I would find fossils, shells and arrowheads heads. I have renewed and extended my fascination with these shapes. I have discovered new connections between the prairie (once an inland sea) and the ocean. Like the prairie and the sea, my pieces display hues against large neutral backgrounds - a touch of pink or a glint of pearl - finding a prairie rose in a otherwise green meadow, or a single shell on a stretch of sand. White Earth comes from some part of me that works unconsciously, a part that reaches down into my memories. White Earth comes from that private part of me, and I hope it will touch that part in others.
Technical Information
I work exclusively in porcelain, the queen of all clay bodies. The majority of my work is hand built with some pieces wheel thrown and altered. I make multiple, but never identical, one of a kind pieces.I prefer soft, quiet glazes. Most glazes are a satin matte finish. I mix my own glazes using recipes handed down to me during my apprenticeship, many which originated in Japan, continuing the tradition of teacher passing knowledge to student.All work is fired to a very hard, vitrified 2185 degrees. It is water tight and much more durable than its delicate appearance. Other than the framed pieces, all work can be cleaned with warm soapy water."
bio written by White Earth Studio via the etsy profile

1 comment:

nancy monsebroten said...

Jenny,
Thank you so much for choosing to feature my Lotus Vase on your blog!!!! I followed you! I will share your blog!
Nancy