Sunday, September 19, 2010

Marci G


red poppy lunch set with lime green lace plate
"I have been around handmade crafts my entire life. I practically grew up in my mother’s studio. When I was a baby my playpen was there in her studio. I am now 17, and my mom supervises my Etsy store, but I have my own ideas about what I want to make.I hand build my pieces from paper patterns and stamps I've made or borrowed from mom. I've just started stamping the words. I keep a list of interesting words and add more every day. The poppies are my personal favorite right now. I've been pressing leaves into clay since I was 8, so this is pretty easy, and I know what leaves will make good impressions in clay. I came up with the idea of using coils with the leaves, and like those bowls a lot, too.My mom has been making pottery for over 30 years, and she is my mentor. Whenever I am working on a new design, she helps me to make it more functional. She suggests ideas like making poppy bowls in various sizes. Mom also checks everything that comes out of the kiln and decides if something is first quality, so my work has the same quality standards as a professional."
bio written by Marci via her etsy profile

2 comments:

Lee Wolfe Pottery OneClayBead said...

Thanks so much for featuring MarciG, she is my daughter!
Lee/OneClayBead

Miss Val's Creations said...

I love this bowl. It would be wonderful in a small size for fruit!