Saturday, November 19, 2011

Roberta Polfus Porcelain


Porcelain gourd teapot in orange & tan with black pillow
"I have always been attracted to natural objects, at least as long as my clothing has had pockets. My carved and sometimes gestural pieces are intimate forms that fit and feel good in the hand. While they are generally not representations of actual objects, they reflect the shapes, patterns, colors and surfaces that I am drawn to in nature—the petals of an apple blossom, the grooves of a spindle shell, the pattern of a hosta leaf or the texture of a weathered rock all inform and inspire my work.
I was introduced to porcelain about 11 years ago and we’ve been inseparable since then. I use a combination of wheel thrown and handbuilt forms that are altered, carved and sprigged. With a variety of airbrushed matte and gloss glazes that enhance the surfaces, the pieces are fired in a gas kiln, cone 10 reduction, around 2345 F.
I have many works in process and will be adding them as they come out of the kiln. Each one I've listed is made individually by hand by me."
bio written by Roberta Polfus via her etsy profile
FACEBOOK * ETSY * WEBSITE

No comments: